Make an emergency supply kit
and make sure everyone
in the family
knows where it is.
We’ll tell you
what to put inside.
Using candles safely :
- Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that might burn, including furniture, bedding, curtains and decorations.
- Reduce the chance that candles might tip over by using sturdy candle holders on a flat, open surface.
- Be careful about your clothing. Keep loose sleeves and long hair away from the flame.
- Make sure your candles are out before going to bed or leaving a room.
- Don’t burn a candle all the way – extinguish it before it gets close to the end. If for cultural or religious reasons you will allow a candle to burn completely, make sure it is in a glass, ceramic or other nonflammable container that will not conduct heat, and place it on a nonflammable surface like a glass table or stone hearth.
- Never leave children or pets unattended with candles burning.